Often, the flooring in your home or garage is overlooked until you start to notice problems: damage, stains, dirt, or other issues that make it unattractive. If you have concrete that seems stained or damaged beyond repair, it might be time to talk to the pros about refinishing services.
The truth is that concrete coating is helpful for not only improving the overall appearance of your flooring, but it can make a big difference in extending the overall life. In addition, investing in these services adds an extra layer of durability that protects against stains, chips, and other types of damage.
Overview: How to Apply Concrete Coating
Some homeowners might consider a DIY approach to adding a concrete coating to their garages. But it’s important to understand that the durability of the flooring will depend on the quality of the installation. So don’t underestimate the value you will receive from professional installation.
Here are some of the installation steps we follow to ensure a quality outcome for your project:
- Preparation: First, we need to prepare the flooring. Several methods are available, depending on the current condition of your flooring. Shot blasting helps to remove deep imperfections in the cement. Diamond grinding is recommended for flooring with minor blemishes and divots. Hand grinding might be necessary for parts that are hard to reach, such as near the edges of the flooring.
- Vacuuming: The surface needs to be cleaned to get rid of the dirt, dust, and gravel. The preparatory step can kick up many loose materials, which need to be cleared away, so it doesn’t leave any uneven spots in the coating.
- Primer: Now it’s time to apply the first layer – a primer that seals the floor. Ideally, this is a solvent-based product that hardens the concrete and prepares it for the additional layers that will be applied.
- Scraping: Once all the concrete layers are applied and dried, we scrape the floor to smooth the surface and ensure all the layers are adhering correctly.
- Final Coat: The final coat adds shine and another layer of durability to protect the flooring. A smooth application adds the finishing touch to make your floor look fantastic!
- Caulking: There is one more step: cleaning and sealing the joints along the floor and wall. This caulking helps to prevent dirt and debris from collecting in the cracks.
Hire the Pros for Concrete Coating Services
Concrete coating is much more complicated than most homeowners realize, so it’s best to hire a professional team instead of attempting a DIY project. If you are considering these upgrades for your home, reach out to our expert team to learn more about available services.
At Happy Valley Exteriors, full-service solutions include concrete coating, exterior cleaning, and more. We are based in American Fork, Utah, with services available in many of the nearby areas: Pleasant Grove, Draper, Bluffdale, Lehi, Highland, Sandy, South Jordan, Alpine, Riverton, and more. We invite you to schedule a consultation and get a free estimate. Call when you are ready for more information: (801) 874-3602.